Crisp, fresh air. Sunny skies. Leaves budding on the trees. Ahhhhhh, Spring!
After being cooped up in the house all winter long, hiding from the frigid temps, our tradition of Spring cleaning blossoms anew. We can’t wait to throw open the windows to bring those clean yet still-chilly breezes. We turn our attention to starting the year anew but chucking the old and giving everything a spit-and-polish.
Spring cleaning at our house typically happens spontaneously on some particularly warm weekend and, with a war-cry, gather the kids and supplies and begin tackling a deep cleaning that surpasses the clean room at IBM!
While our Spring cleaning starts spontaneously, we have prepared a list tips and tricks to make Spring cleaning not only easy, but fun.
1. Gather the troops. Chores are always more fun with a group. Have everyone dress in their “grubbies,” assign each person to a room or a specific task, and hand them the supplies they’ll need for their task.
2. Put some music on … loud! We have younger children in our home so we blast Disney Sing-A-Longs; but feel free to play any music that energizes the team.
3. Revive drab drapes. Take the drapes down, remove hooks, and run them through the air-fluff cycle in the dryer with a damp towel to attract the dust for 15 minutes. Re-hang immediately. Wipe blinds with a damp cloth.
4. Dust thoroughly. Don’t cheat. Take everything off shelves, tabletops and dressers to dust. Remember all the places you’ve been neglecting throughout the year: ceiling fans, above kitchen cabinets, baseboards, and doorways.
5. Wash out trash cans. Deep-clean your garbage cans by hosing them down and dumping out the water. Then spray the inside with a disinfectant spray, scrub with a handled brush, and rinse. Leave them upside down to dry.
6. Clean upholstered furniture. Vacuum pillows, as well as underneath the cushions. Look for stains and clean according to the care label.
7. Investigate all doors and windows for leaks and drafts and look for peeling and chipping paint. This could signal water intrusion. Seal any open areas between the frame and the wall to keep out water.
8. Clean inside the refrigerator. The best cleaner is a combination of abrasive salt and bubbly soda water.
9. Rid your faucets of lime build-up. If your faucets have lime build-up – usually around the base, spigot, and the swivel joint, lay paper towels over the fixture, and soak it with vinegar, letting it sit for an hour. The deposits will soften and easy to clean.
10. Remove hard-water scale and/or mildew from showerheads, faucet heads, and drains using the same method in number 9. If the shower-head isn’t removable, position a plastic bag filled with vinegar over it and tape it shut.
11. Clean your chrome, glass or stainless steel appliances. Fill a spray bottle with a mixture of 50 percent rubbing alcohol and 50 percent water. Spray and wipe off.
12. Launder bedding and pillows. If you change bedding for the season, air out the spring blankets before putting them on bed. Store your winter bedding after having it cleaned.
We hope your Spring cleaning goes well. Don’t forget to prepare and have fun.
Squeeky Clean Window Washing guarantees you’ll be satisfied with the quality of our work regardless of the season the work is performed.